This is a great little project that you can do with your kids for a Halloween party. Its simple and really impactful for a layout for a party. Simply pop popcorn. At each tip of each finger put a candy corn. Add popcorn to fill the glove. Close with a piece of curling ribbon made into a bow. Add a spider ring for a bit of show.
Opps – someone got Gizmo wet I see. What an awesome 3D cake featuring Gizmo, reels of film, popcorn and lots of candy from the epic theater portion of the Gremlin movie.
1 bag (10 oz) large marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 drops red food color
8 cups popped light butter flavor microwave popcorn (from 3.5-oz bag)
1 In 3-quart saucepan, cook marshmallows and butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat. Stir in food color.
2 Stir in popped popcorn until evenly coated. Cool 5 minutes.
3 With buttered hands, shape 1 cup mixture into heart shape. Repeat with remaining mixture. Wrap each heart in plastic wrap.
Directly from the UPS:
Pop Popcorn. Then Pack. That’s right. UPSer Mimi Millegass, a preload clerk in Myrtle Beach, S.C., says, “You have to pack the popcorn down really tight. When the package has arrived safely at its destination, the used popcorn can be thrown outside to feed birds and other animals.” —— I never thought about it but it is an obvious material to pack and is super eco friendly…. those Styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap are terrible for the environment. I might suggest to make sure the recipient is OK with this and that the item being shipped is securely packed inside a sealed bag or plastic of some kind.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, plus extra for coating bowl and hands
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon green food coloring, optional
- 9 cups prepared popcorn
- 2 cups green M&M’S® Brand Milk Chocolate or Peanut Chocolate Candies
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Candy thermometer
- 2 quarts heavy bottom pot
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Large pot
- Waxed or parchment paper
- Cookie sheet
- Cellophane (optional)
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, water and salt. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking without stirring for another 10 minutes, or until the syrup reaches the hard-crack stage—300ºF on a candy thermometer. Immediately remove from heat, add vanilla extract and food coloring and mix well.
- 2. In a large greased pot, combine popped popcorn with syrup, stirring constantly with a spatula or wooden spoon until completely coated. Stir in M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies and marshmallows. Once mixture is cool enough to handle, coat hands with butter and form 2 ½-inch balls. Place on tray lined with either wax or parchment paper until ready to serve, or, wrap in cellophane.