I became so tired of spools of ribbon coming undone and digging through drawers to see if I had ribbon that matched that I made a storage/dispensing box for my ribbon spools. The plus side of these boxes is that the ribbon stays neat and organized, you can see what you have a glance, the ribbon pulls right through the hole in box (no need to open lid to use), and because they are covered in the fabric of your choice, they can fit into any decor without being obvious.
1. 1 shallow box. Baby-shoe boxes work well.
2. Spray box and lid with spray adhesive and cover with fabric of choice.
3. Using a razor blade to cut a narrow dowel rod the length of the box.
4. Thread spools of ribbon on the dowel rod.
5. Using a hole punch, punch as many holes as you have spools of thread/ribbon down the length of box.
6. Place dowel rod with spools of ribbon in box and thread an inch or 2 of each ribbon through hole.
7. Replace lid on box.