A house move usually requires at least two months of planning and preparation to ensure that everything is dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately, there are some instances where a quick, last-minute relocation cannot be avoided.
While it may seem more daunting to tackle compared to a thoroughly planned move, you can still succeed in the task without too much stress. The key is to know the different parts of the process and the most efficient way of completing them.
To help you out, here are five easy-to-follow steps you can use as a guide to surviving that last-minute relocation:
Removal companies are experts when it comes to dealing with the logistics of a move. They can handle almost everything — from packing and transporting your belongings to helping with the unpacking at your new residence.
Because their role in the success of the relocation is huge, it is imperative that you hire the best in the business who can accommodate a rushed move. When choosing a removal company in Sydney, Australia or in any other location in the world, you should do a good amount of research and ask the right questions.
Some of the things you must learn are the cost, the type of services you require, and the standard fees so you’ll know if you’re getting the most out of your money.
Step #2: Pack an Essentials Bag
An essentials bag should contain all the necessary items that you may need on your first couple of days in your new place. This way, you won’t have to rush with the unpacking and it will help you to stay organized after your move.
Here are some of the things you need to include in your essentials pack:
- First-aid kit complete with all necessary maintenance medications
- Beddings, such as pillows, blankets, and bed sheets
- A few changes of clothes
- Paper towels, toilet paper, and other essential paper supplies
- Cleaning supplies
- Meal staples and easy-cook (or no-cook) food
- Water and other replenishments
- Kitchen utensils and dishes
- Coffee or tea
- Portable tool kit and scissors
- Identification documents and other important papers
- Cash and/or credit cards
Now that you’re done with your essentials, it is time to proceed to the rest of your belongings. Since you’re short on time, you may need all the help you can get to complete this. This means you should also consider hiring experts to complete the packing faster.
It is also wise to follow these time-saving tips:
- Sort them later. If you don’t have enough time to pack, it would be wiser to sort your items during the unpacking. You can skip labeling and segregating items according to a “theme,” but never forgo the “fragile” stickers to avoid the mishandling of your breakables.
- Use socks and towels to protect fragile items from damage. Since time is limited, it’s likely that you have no time to shop for bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Instead, you can use soft items like clothing, towels, and even bedding to wrap stemware and other breakable items. Newspapers can work too, but be wary of the ink.
- Only set up boxes when you need them. Packing for a last-minute move means you need all the space you have in a room, which is why you should only set up boxes when you’re ready to put things in them.
- Don’t remove clothes from their hangers. When packing for a rushed relocation, it would be better to put plastic bags over your clothes while they are still in their hangers. This will also make unpacking them easier later.
Step #4: Hire Professionals for the Cleaning
It is a good idea to have your old home deep cleaned first before you move out. If you were renting, it is likely that this is necessary for you to get your deposit or bond back. You could also leave the cleaning of your new place to the professionals to ensure that it gets done before you arrive.
Step #5: Think About Storage
If you have too many items that you cannot let go of, but you cannot take everything with you on the move, it may be time to consider hiring storage solutions. This way, the stored items will remain in your possession and you can make arrangements later for having them taken out of the storage facility and transported to your new home, if needed.
Talk to your trusted removals company as they may also offer flexible short-term or long-term storage solutions.
Ready, Set, Move!
A last-minute relocation doesn’t need to be daunting. When preparing for a rushed move, it is important that you know the most important things that need to be accomplished to make it work. This way, you can avoid missing important steps and your relocation can be a success.
Robert Wise, Sales Administration Manager at Nuss Removals, has been a respected figure in the removals industry for over 20 years. His attention to detail and the ability to truly understand the needs of the customer have ensured the successful relocation of thousands of satisfied individuals and families. For moving and storage across Australia and around the world, Robert’s wealth of experience ensures his customers are in safe hands.