Doormats are the first item of décor guests see when stepping into your home. They’re usually placed outside or inside, right at the entrance. A good door mat is not just meant to beautify your home, but also to protect it from dirt and harmful bacteria from people’s feet. They’re like the best line of defense for debris and grime. It is important to invest in top-quality doormats, and as much as we like a cool design, make sure to consider durability first.
Choose with your brain not with your heart
Before buying that funky, animal-inspired door mat you just saw at the flea market, assess the material. Visually it looks amazing; it’s interesting, unusual and modern. However, can it trap dirt and debris efficiently? Winter is coming soon, so you should be aware that people’s shoes will be dirtier than ever. That being said, you are advised to check for door mats manufactured from the following materials:
- Coir – it is both attractive and durable thanks to the dense coco material at the base. Clean is done fairly easy through vacuuming or shaking
- Aluminum – features protective powder coatings which act like a powerful shield against the elements; highly durable, available in shades of copper, black and silver and comes with wide patterns for efficient draining
- Rubber – comes in black, which means it can be placed anywhere; highly durable yet soft and efficient
- Mahogany – stylish, durable appearance
Now that you know how to pick the best material for a doormat, it’s time to focus on design. There are hundreds of mats out there that it can be tough to make a decision. Before making a choice, take a good look at your home’s hallway décor. Is it modern, vintage-inspired, contemporary? Do you want to make an impression on your guests? Here are some ideas to help you get inspired.
- Monogrammed doormat – featuring the most intricate design, a monogrammed doormat is excellent for houses with a royal appeal. If you’re a fan of fancy architecture and Victorian décor concepts, than this is something you need to have at the entrance. It is striking, appealing and it will surely create a visual appeal. The monogram displayed will let people know that you have a refined taste for luxury, sophisticated things.
- Theme doormat – winter is coming and soon enough the holiday spirit will enter our homes. That being said, you should invest in a doormat with a Christmas theme. Go for mats with funny Santas, trees or snow flakes and everyone knocking on your door will sense that you’re a warm person who loves winter.
- Funny messages – do you have a really developed sense of humor and you’d like everyone to know about it? Well then a “Go Away” coir mat might be exactly what your entryway needs. Of course, there are sarcastic messages you can opt for such “Leave”, “Bag Dog”, “Nice Underwear”, and more. With this type of mat you will definitely manage to put a smile on your guests ‘faces.
Doormats are fundamental items of décor in all homes. They come in a wealth of types, sizes and shapes; so it shouldn’t be that difficult to make a choice. Whether you’re hunting the market for large building mats or you have a weakness for the cute, funky ones, the choices are endless. Just make sure to invest in quality. Size matters too; people should be able to accommodate both feet on the mat. Make a sensible choice and don’t forget about style either. Your home will look amazing and everyone will be eager to pay you a visit.