- Sugar cookies recipe or pre made cookie dough works
- Various food colorings coming close to maroon, beige and pink
- Brown sugar
- Sugar dyed black (to look like pepper for the edges)
- Meringue powder
- Small paintbrush
- Wooden skewers to fit the width of your cookie sheet
- A cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
1.Use wooden skewers and put lengthways across the cookie sheet . This will give the cookies a realistic appearance.
2. Divide the cookie dough into 3 balls – two larger and one smaller. Dye the smaller dough ball a dark red. Dye one of the larger dough balls a beige color and dye the other large dough ball a pink red. Put the dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Once your dough is cold, start building your block of dough. Since we want to cut these cookies, you want the side view to look like a slice of bacon.
3. Take the darkest color of dough and place it on some plastic wrap, and make some funky shapes with it. If you ever look at bacon and study the colors you will notice the darkest meat of the bacon is usually concentrated to one side. Then add some of the beige dough and the pink dough in the random layers. Then back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Uncover the dough and cut the rest of the slices. Cover the skewers with parchment paper. Lay the slices on the cookie sheet, on top of the dowels.
5. Bake your cookies according to your recipe’s instructions taking note that the thickness of your cookies can change the time frame you need to bake them for. Allow cookies to cool.
6. Use brown and black colored sugars (readily available in stores) and place in bowl. Use meringue powder slightly damped with water and brush the edge of each cookie and just touch the cookies edge to the sugar.